Q: Where do these pictures come from? One of those looks like an image I posted on a forum...
A: The pictures come from all over the internet. Many people will try to take credit for some of the images, but they come from all over the world and most are as old as 1995. You can send an email if you do find your picture on here. Otherwise, by leaving the names off, I can protect the identity of those who bought this illegal merchandise. It's up to you if you want your name out there, associated with the crime of purchasing a bootleg.
Q: Do you own any of the bootlegs shown?
Q: What should I do if I see a bootleg product?
A: Walk away. Do not purchase.
Q: What if I've already purchased something bootleg?
A: Well you can't sell it, because it's a bootleg. Even if you try at a garage sale, you run the risk of being caught. Might be a low risk, but not a chance worth taking. If you know someone who would use it, you can give it away for free, or you can just set it aside somewhere and save up for the real thing.
Q: If I have a bootleg toy, can I give it to my child/grandchild/niece/nephew/baby sibling?
A: NO!! Although many sellers will try to tell you that the toy is safe for kids 3 and older, most bootlegs are made from low-quality materials in cheap factories. You don't know if this toy has been painted with lead paint, has needles stuck in the stuffing or if the toy has anything else wrong with it.
Q: Why shouldn't I buy a bootleg DVD? Isn't it the same as copying a store-bought DVD?
A: It's not the same. DVD copying software often times auto-deletes content from the disc (such as extras, a menu, ect.) and usually the bootleggers try to cram more than two discs worth of content onto fewer discs. This cramming process can damage the data, resulting in a dim, dingy look to the film, glitches and after a few years, the disc is rendered unusable. Lower quality bootleggers try to tape the shows from TV (read: placing a camera in front of a TV) or they try to source film from VHS tapes and old Laserdiscs. The quality is anything but HD.
Q: Where are these bootlegs sold?
A: Sadly everywhere. Amazon, eBay and Etsy are the worst offenders here. There are new bootlegs every month. Dollar Stores, Thrift/re-sale shops, Pawn Stores, Comic Shops, Garage Sales, Swap Meets and outdoor sale places are also guilty of selling them. A big custom dealer is Setsuna Kou. That dealer takes apart official merchandise to create their own.
Q: If I find a Sailormoon related bootleg and I want to share it, can I send it to you?
A: You can email all photos and links here:
Q: Soooo does this page exist to support the purchase of these things?
A: Absolutely NOT!! Actually this page serves two purposes. One is to educate new or returning Sailormoon buyers so they DON'T fall for bootlegs, and second... to make people laugh. Let's face facts here, some of these bootlegs are just hysterically BAD.
Q: I just saw a Palla Palla toy. Is it real? Which characters do not have dolls or figures?
A: The Amazoness Quartet each had one plush doll and one dressable doll. Look for the BanDai logo on the tag or box.
The following characters do NOT have their own figures, plush or dolls as of May, 2012:
The Doom/Hell Tree
Ali/Alan (En actually has a mini figure.)
The Black Moon Sisters
The Witches 5
Master Pharaoh 90
The Amazon Trio
Sailor Galaxia and her team
Kousagi, her cat, Ami, Rei, Mako and Mina
Fan Made characters
Any "bad guy of the day" villain
Words to look out for when shopping:
1. Factory Sealed
2. Great for kids!
4. OOAK (One of a kind)
5. Cosplay/for cosplayers (Unless you see a BanDai or Toei Animation silver sticker on it, it's a fake.)
6. Hentai, Doujinshi, Porn
7. Malaysia/Government approved
8. New from China/Hong Kong/Malaysia
9. Taiwan Exclusive
10. It's my art/my expression
11. Unnofficial/not authorized
How to spot a REAL Sailormoon item:
1. If it's a toy from Japan, look for the Toei Animation sticker, then look for the red BanDai label.
2. If it's a Kodansha product, (they gave away bags and such) look for signs of age and a copyright date for Naoko Takeuchi.
3. Know your seasons. Sailormoon came out in 1992, meaning that merchandise were in pre-production in late 1991. R came out between 92 and 93, S in 94, SuperS in 95 and StarS in 96. The series ended in 1997. Sailormoon debuted in America in 1995. So if you see an item with a date stamp of 1990, it's a fake. Be aware of items that have the wrong logos on the merchandise. For example, Sailor Moon did not become Eternal Sailor Moon until StarS. So if you see a Sailormoon S mark on a picture of Eternal Sailor Moon, it is a BIG fake. Also, there are only 3 movies and 200 episodes of the anime. There is no episode 201. DiC never dubbed StarS. Nor did Cloverway.
4. Beware of art from the actual Sailormoon manga on non book items. If it's on Kodansha merchandise or on a book, it could be real. If it's on a bookmark or DVD, it's fake. Only a handful of trading cards ever had the manga artwork on them, be cautious.
5. Check the price. Original Sailormoon dolls and figures start at $20. If it's expensive, it's probably real. If it's cheap, be careful.
6. Look at the store you are buying this from. If you are in America, and it's at Hot Topic, F.Y.E., Wal*Mart, Meijer, or another nationally known retail store, it's real. If it's at a mall kiosk, Chinatown, a hair/beauty store, outside, or at any shop where English is not spoken well, it's a fake.
7. If you are shopping overseas, make sure you are at a regular chain store or book store. Be aware of bootlegs to other series. (Spider-Man, Hello Kitty, Power Rangers/Super Sentai, Pokemon, Yu-Ghi-Oh, Kamen Rider and Fantastic Four are the most common bootlegs.)
LAME and stupid excuses bootleggers and trolls hide behind:
Trolls who are dumb enough to defend bootlegging and of course bootleggers themselves try to hid behind the WORST excuses. Here's a rundown:
1. This is my interpretation of Sailormoon!! ~ You can make up as much fan art as you like. But the moment you start accepting money for it, you've crossed the line into bootlegging. Once you cross that line, this is no longer you making up "artwork", this is now you, openly scamming Sailormoon fans and robbing the show's creators of a payday.
2. This is art based on the popular series ~ Just like #1. This lame excuse usually is attached to a Shrinky-Dink keychain, made from a photo from the actual series or from a REAL trading card. Just because you photoshopped it does not EVER mean you can sell it.
3. I gave credit to the series creators!! ~ There are people, rotting in prison cells around the world, still hiding behind this excuse. You can give all the credit in the world and even post the proper copyright notice on each figure or keychain you sell, it's still ILLEGAL and you shouldn't act surprised when someone calls you on it.
4. Well.. I spent TIME on this. I WORK HARD to make this you know ~ You could spend the next 8 years working on a statue of Sailor Saturn. If you do not have permission from Toei or Naoko, it's a BOOTLEG and it's worth is absolutely nothing.
5. You are STUPID okay?? I did my research, unlike YOOOUUU. My teacher/high school club/DA group/the cop I called and totally spoke to says you're an idiot. You know what? I might even sue YOU for slander. I'M the one in the right because this is my business and I gave my credit. Everyone KNOWS who I am ~ I've seen this rant copy and pasted from every stupid, mouth breathing, waste-of-life troll you can imagine. And many of them are legit bootleggers. And oh yes, people DO know who you are if you're dumb enough to post this. They know you are a FAKE. This ladies and gentlemen, is the last-ditch-effort rant that trolls and the like post, because they're delusional enough to think it makes them look "smart". They have no clue how many of you are laughing at them right now.
6. SEE??? The copyright laws say that I can do anything. It's not a direct copy of that thing, it's my ART ~ There is NO copyright law in the world that would stand behind this claim. And again, this claim usually follows an item, made from an actual picture the bootlegger swiped from the internet. Nobody is stupid enough to believe this, especially not a cop.
7. Well they do it on Etsy!! ~ Aaaaand they keep getting CAUGHT on Etsy, which is slowly but surely cracking down on bootleggers. It's the same reason why many of them are now heading to Yardsellr and eBay.
8. But I bought the original photo.. ~ Which is NOT the same as buying the rights to it.
9. I can mod this if I want to!! ~ And nobody is stopping you, but if you sell it, you're a bootlegger.
10. So what? I can't enjoy my art EVER?? ~ Nobody said that. You can enjoy all the photoshopping you like. But if you make money from it, you're a bootlegger.
11. You're just keeping yourself ignorant, YOU need to educate yourself ~ Another stupid and desparate attack from a bootlegger. This lame, two in the morning attack is from Ms. Infidel, a supporter of bootleggers. Truth is, it's never "ignorant" to expose bootleggers and scam artists, especially not when they sport items with chipping paint. She also has an odd blog, Facebook and a sci-fi based Twitter. Isn't it completely WEIRD that she tweeted me her attack just as I was updating this page, September 22, 2012? Literally, as I was typing this, she flamed me. Never heard of her before. Creepy much? She was totally fine until I added more pictures on this page, warning you, the faithful about the latest bootlegs. Hmm.. I suppose that puts her Etsy account on watch?
NOTE: Don't flame her. BLOCK her. End of story.
12. Well... it's not like Kodansha/Toei/BanDai/Naoko really NEEDS the money ~ And that is that ignorant and stupid attitude that keeps us from having nice things. (And no, idiot. You're so-called "art" that you're charging money for isn't a nice thing at all.) Sure it might seem like fun to cheat a company out of money, but when you cheat the company, you also cheat it's workers. Your favorite voice actor in Sailormoon? The people who actually spent REAL time drawing and painting every scene? You just cheated them out of their hard earned cash. You can give all the credit you and, and you are still a thief and a scam artist. It's like this. How would YOU feel, if I took something that you actually for real drew, and made money off of it, and you never saw a dime from it? Not much fun now, is it? Don't lie and claim "well that's different" it's the same.
13. You just don't understand anything! ~ Only the most pathetic morons say this, kids. Here's what I understand. You, breaking the law, trying to make people feel sorry for you, because you want money for fanart. Yeah, that's against the law. I understand that plenty.
14. This is how I make my LIVING okay??? ~ No, not okay. I'm sorry the economy is shit, but ripping people off is never the answer. Either make up your own characters and ideas, or get a real job. And attacking me only makes you look twice as pathetic.
15. It's NOT wrong! See what I heard was... ~ And this turns into a long post that I always end up deleting. What you "hear" and the actual law are two different things.
16. Well GAWD why is it wrong? ~ Once again, it's illegal, and furthermore the materials used to make bootlegs are generally of a lower grade than what REAL merchandisers use. Oh sure, I bet you dropped a fortune at the local craft store. Wanna bet how much lead, cadmium and other toxic materials you exposed yourself to? If you think they saftey test those things, you're mistaken. Same for you shoppers out there. That Hong Kong bootleg looks super cute, right? Wanna take a chance on needles in the stuffing or lead based paint?
List of terms for those new to internet shopping:
NSFW: Not Safe For Work ~ Adults only!!
OOAK: One of a Kind ~ Blatant Bootleg
NRFB: Never removed from box
MIB: Mint in Box ~ May also mean the item is in mint (un-touched) condition, but is missing it's original packaging.
As-is: What you see is what you get. Broken or not.
This page on Bootlegs is actually dedicated to a long-gone website from Bobagirl. She was the first to document bootleg Sailormoon goods. Check out what she found:
Sailor Neptune candy topper?
Sailormoon R watch
Sailor Mercury Beauty Warrior playset These heat packing cosplay sets also came in Sailor Moon and Sailor Mars and have been spotted on eBay as late as 2012.
Chibi Mako pin
Chibi Ami pin
Chibi Michiru pin
Chibi Minako pin
Child's Usagi outfit
Sailorbikes in Mars, Mercury and Moon. (Check adult Sailor Chibi Moon and Sailor Moon in the picture!)
Sailormoon Fly Dancer. (It's half Uranus and half Venus)
Backwards "Magic Feeling" Sailor Chibi Moon wand
Sailor Uranus figure
On the left is a REAL Tuxedo Mask figure. On the right is a fake "Pretty Fighter" Prince Endymion... playset?
Custom Black Lady.... with Kousagi's hair??
New additions to these products started creeping back onto eBay in 2011 and in 2012:
Chibi Super Sailor Moon set?
Sailor Moon Sailorbike
|Planet Girl Bootlegs:|
Planet Girl Moon Figure
Sailor Moon Planet Girl up close
Back of the Planet Girl box
Moon, Jupiter and Venus "Planet Girl" dolls with Codename Sailor V style outfits
Planet Girl Chibimoon Wand and Sailor Venus
Planet Girl Sailor Moon
Planet Girl Figure Set
Planet Girl Sailor Moon and Wand Set
Planet Girl Neptune and Mars
Planet Girl Dayglow Mercury Saban Moon Toonmakers figure. (What?!)
Planet Girl... Mercury? Jupiter?
Planet Girl Toys
Planet Girls Bubbles
Planet Girl Princess Serenity plaque
Current Planet Girl label
Planet Girl Purse, comb and brush for a doll...
Planet Girl Doll (EGADS is that a man??)
Sailor Neptune ~ arm sold seperately.
Sailor Neon Chibi Moon
Purple hair Mercury
Planet Girl package
Venus with a pink bow
Planet Girl Back package
Blue Eyed, Big Nosed Mars
Comes with a free battery
|Sailor Mary Bootlegs:|
Sailor Mary action figures: Moon, Venus and Mercury
Sailor Mary Jupiter, Mercury and Venus
Sailor Mary Jupiter
Sailor Mary Box
Sailor Mary Mercury
Sailor Mary Box
Sailor Mary set 1 2 3 4 5
|Annie Pretty Sailor Bootlegs:|
Annie Pretty Moon: Chibimoon Moon, Jupiter Moon and Moon Moon?
Annie Pretty Moon and Planet Girl
Annie Pretty Sailor Doll
|Sailor Sweetie Bootlegs:|
Sailor Sweetie set with Chibi Jupiter and Venus
Sailor Sweetie set with Chibi Sailor Moon and Teenage Sailor Chibi Moon
Sailor Sweetie set with Chibi Mars and Mercury
Sailor Sweetie Moon and Artemis
Sailor Sweetie Senshi
Sailor Mars and a bunny
Sailor Venus, a bird and a ride
Made in Chna and again
Sailor Moon 1 2
Sailor Chibi Moon 1 2 3
Sailor Mercury 1 2
Sailor Jupiter 1 2
|Beauty Girl Bootlegs:|
Beauty Girl Jupiter
Beauty Girl Guardian Moon
Two pack with Beauty Mars and Guardian Moon
... up close
2 pack with Jupiter and Pink Usagi
2 pack with a horrible paint job on Mars and Jupiter
Pink and Purple Mars
Adult Chibi Usagi
Mars and Moon
|Beauty Fighters Bootlegs:|
Beauty Fighters Set (Note the blue eyed Chibi Moon)
Beauty Fighters Keychain Figure Sailor Moon
Beauty Fighters Figure Set
Beauty Fighters Figure Set ~ With Jun Jun and Palla Palla (Take a look at the cover art!)
Sailor Disinterested Moon
Beauty Fighter Mask, wand and figure set.
Return of squatting Neptune-Venus and the Beauty Fighters
Sailormoon R Beauty Fighters Set
|Shirley Moore Bootlegs:|
Beauty Soldier Shirley Moore Play Set
Shirley Moore Jiputer figure
Shirley Moore Box
Shirley Moore Venus and Moon
|Meteor Girl Bootlegs:|
Venus Meteor Girl?
... from MoonBeam
Meteor Girl Purse and figure set
Meteor Girl weapons
|Wensi Creation Bootlegs:|
NOTE: These Hong Kong based bootleggers try to pass off their products (usually made with Shrinky-Dinks and glue) as "art" but do not be fooled. They are 100% FAKES and are made with questionable materials, in a country known for not checking for things like lead and cadmium.
NOTE #2: Here and Here they list how they make their goods.
Chibi Sailor Mercury hair ties ~ This comes in the Inner, Outer, Starlight Senshi and Sailor Cosmos.
Pink Usagi Nude Earrings
Chibi Chibi Rose earrings
Neo Queen Serenity, King Endymion and Sailor Pluto earrings
Sailor Style Sailor Senshi earrings
Sailor Parallel Moon ~ Kousagi and Cat Pendant
Usagi and Mamoru charms
Amazoness Quartet Charms
Haruka and Michiru set
Random Chibi Charms
Sailor Hello Kitty Moon????
NSFW Usagi earrings
Nurse Usagi earrings
Another random set of charms
Chibi Moon and Saturn earrings
Inner Senshi mini-magnets
Usagi pendant set
Chibi Chibi earrings
NOTE: The following comes from Manga Style
Since when do they come in a bag??
The artbook should have metallic lettering. WTF is this?
Spot the mistakes! And more!
NOTE: The following from here on come from all over the internet:
United States Fleet Artbook #3: 1 2
NOTE: This seller has also had her goods on Amazon and Etsy. Most of her costumes are listed as "sexy" though she also sells baby costumes and costumes of popular movie characters.
Sailor BLUE Moon??
Serena Haruhi Sexy Moon costume
Totally light blue Mercury?
Red Bow Pluto
Really bad Saturn costume
|Setsuna Kou Bootleg "Customs":|
BanDai-style Starlight Dolls
BanDai-style Galaxia, Kakyuu (Labled Fireball Princess), Eternal Sailor Moon and the Starlights
Sailor Amazoness Quartet
Sailor Chibi Chibi
BanDai-Irwin Sailor Saturn
Irwin Sailor Saturn with patched hair
Chibiusa as Sailor Neo Moon
Hotaru and Shingo Tsukino's daughter (What the hell?)
Princess Lady Serenity
BanDai-Irwin Eternal Sailor Moon
Irwin Eternal Sailor Moon
Volks Sailor Chibi Moon
Irwin Sailor Chibi Moon
Sailor Chibi Chibi Moon (RiRi)
Sailor Mini Mini Moon (RiRi)
Helios and Teen Sailor Chibi Moon set
Rei and Yuichirou
Japanese BanDai Kakyuu
BanDai-Irwin Starlights Set
Irwin 6 inch Super Sailor Saturn
Black Lady Figure on a stick
"Sexy" Sailor Chibi Moon (I could shoot the eBay seller that called her this.)
Chibiusa and Luna-P Figure
Tuxedo Mask Figure
Fake Eternal Sailor Moon
Princess Serenity Figure
Wicked Lady Figure
Chibi Sailor Amazoness Quartet
Chibi Sailor Chibi Chibi Moon
Chibi Black Lady
Screaming Uranus and Neptune
Sailor Phi and Sailor Chi
Sailor Iron Mouse... with a pipe cleaner up her ass??
Angry Chibi Mars
Pluto and Saturn
Happy Sailor Saturn
2000 Irwin style 4 Generals
VOLKS 4 Generals
Black Moon Sisters
Luna BanDai doll
Tara and Rini (Hotaru and Chibiusa) figure
Sailor Ceres with shoelace hair and her box
RiRi (Chibi Chibi) with red-pink Kousagi hair and her box
VOLKS Usagi as Sailor Cosmos Alternate box
Cyprine and Puchi Roll? and in box.
VOLKS Cosmic Moon
BanDai America Eternal Pluto In Box
VOLKS Eternal Sailor Pluto
Eudial in box
VOLKS BanDai Galaxia Alternate Version
Sailor Vesta, BANDAI North American version
Sailor Juno and her box
Unazuki Furuhata 1 2
Sailor Heavy Metal Papillion
Mimette 1 2
Mistress 9 1 2
Ms. Haruna Sakurada
Queen Nehelenia 1 2
Neo Queen Serenity
Eternal Outer Senshi
VOLKS Sailor Palas
BanDai Japan Princess Kakyuu
Princess Serenity and again
Queen Serenity 1 2 3
BanDai America Codename Sailor V
Irwin Sailor Star Fighter
Sailor Vesta 1 2
|Sailormoon World Bootlegs:|
NOTE: The Sailormoon World figures are the most bootlegged figures in the world. The first set had Black Lady and the Inner Senshi. To see what the real figures look like, click here. And for more official figures, click there or here.
Melted Faced Figures
Senshi smacking themselves?
eBay Cloud figures
Hong Kong Bootlegs
More Hong Kong bootlegs
... again, but with Black Lady's head coming apart
Another Hong Kong set of fakes
Hong Kong fakes again and again.
Facepalm Mars and friends
Pretty Guardian Fakes
Black Lady keychain
Sailor Mars keychain
Keychain set of Sailor Mercury, Moon, Mars, Jupiter, Venus and Black Lady
Birthday Cake Toppers:
... Paint Chipping Venus
...Wrong Paint Moon
...Jupiter Smacking Herself
....The Full Cast
Human Luna, sucking her thumb?
First World Set?? 1 2
Hong Kong Christmas Ornaments??
Rat eyed Sailor Mars
WWE Sailormoon Birthday Cake 1 2
SaleMoonS Sailor Mars
Sale Moon Neptune and Uranus
More SALEMOON figures 1 2 3 4 5 A bigger merchandise set??? wand another ad
|Yetiart/ModelKitOnline Resin Bootlegs:|
NOTE: The team behind these bootleggers are notorius for charging $80-700 per figure or statue, and they have a habit of bullying potential buyers, claiming to be world class pro-artists.
Wicked Black Lady Figure
Chibiusa and Luna-P figure
Eternal Sailor Moon with her staff
Eternal Sailor Moon 1 2
Sera Myu Sailor Venus
Sexy Super Sailor Chibi Moon 1 2
Sailor Chibi Chibi Moon
|Petit Soldier Sailormoon:|
Petit Soldier Chibi Moon and Luna-P
Petit Soldier Chibi Moon (Yellow)
Petit Soldier Jupiter
Petit Soldier Tuxedo Mask
Petit Soldier Sailor Moon
Petit Soldier set
Sailor Angel Set
Sailor Angel Small Moon
Sailor Angels package
|Adult goods ~ items that are 100% NSFW:|
A Sailor Venus hentai
Sweet to Sweet R Valentine's
Studio Vanguard SM
Alright that the hell is this??
The Blue Rabbit
ACTUAL screencap of a real eBay sale of a Hentai Hotaru bootleg. Notes have been added.
Hotaru wearing nothing but a dress-shirt?
ANOTHER nude Saturn???
And ANOTHER nude Saturn!?!?
Angelic Usagi Pillow
Seashell Saturn 1 2
|Luna Plush And Friends:|
NOTE: These bootlegs first showed up on Amazon, then wound up on eBay, Etsy and have even been sold in shopping malls! They are made in Hong Kong.
NOTE #2: Originally just a Sailormoon bottlegger, they now bootleg other titles, such as Vocaloid, Naruto, Pokemon and One Piece.
Cherry Red Luna
Gold Luna (Super Luna??)
No Tiara Sailor Moon
Star Locket Princess Moon Plush
Star Locket Moon
Wingless Eternal Sailor Moon with Keroberos from Cardcaptor Sakura for a locket?!
Eternal Sailor Moon
Chibi Sailor Mars
Female Artemis hat
Luna hat (Looks like Diana.)
Luna winter hat (Looks like Diana)
Decapitated Luna/Diana coin pouch
Decapitated Artemis coin pouch
Diana coin purse
Blue Eyed Diana Luna Plush
Manga Luna Hat